(cross posted from Coffee and Chemo (here and here))
It occurred to me that having a cold might affect my ability to receive chemo tomorrow.
I emailed my oncologist, who wrote back: “come and we will decide tomorrow–sounds like you will get a little break”
What does that mean?
Do I have the nurses open my port as usual?
I am scheduled to receive both Taxol and Herceptin. If “we” (and by “we,” I mean “he”) decide to postpone treatments, do we postpone both medications? By how long? A few days? A week? What is a “little break?” (To me, a “break” would be at least a month! We know that is not happening, as we have already established (here) that we can not postpone the Herceptin by more than a week)
Last week, my doctor told me that we would evaluate the efficacy of my treatments in the next two weeks. How does postponing treatment affect our ability to evaluate if the drugs are working?
All these questions, just because of a stupid cold, from which, we agreed last year (see here), cancer patients should be exempt!
It seems that when push comes to shove, the common cold trumps the cancer card!
Apparently, a “little break” is one week.
I received Herceptin today, but no Taxol. My next Taxol treatment will be next Thursday.
I was a little nervous about skipping the treatment, but my oncologist was pretty insistent. When I pressed him about it, he offered to give it to me if I was willing to sign a waver, taking full responsibility for any possible complications. I politely declined, to which he responded “I thought that’s what you’d say.”
So, I will focus on kicking this cold, which is pretty much taking up all my energy and then some.
I felt a bit better this morning, but by the time I got home I was wiped. I went straight to bed and slept for three hours!